Monday, February 14, 2011

Because it's worth it.

Here's how the day went, just for the record. Not that it's a big deal. Not that this day was something so extraordinary. No nothing. Really. Enough of the rationalizations. Just plain, pure gushing of grateful thoughts for a special day which I thought would not be so special. Promise. No nothing.

I woke up knowing it's the day lovers in the world wait for. Because ever since, I've never been a lover in the official sense of the world, I knew I shouldn't make a fuss about it. But somehow, my heart got infected by the hearts' day virus. Maybe because somehow, love has knocked on my door several times but something kept me from opening it. So there, still my heart got infected because somehow the fumes of love seethed through the teeny holes around my cardiac muscle.

And so when I saw two young ladies clad in bonnet, sweater and pajamas, offering their flowers-for-sale to me, as I rushed up the Blue Bridge stairs, I stopped to look at the flowers and smilingly recalled the times I got some during the past. Upon remembering that the giver lied to me, I suddenly noticed that the flowers the two ladies were selling looked worn out, with some petals already black. Quickly, I walked onwards, and a petite young man in black shirt walked past me, on his hand a red rose wrapped in plastic. He walked quicker than me, as if the woman he was giving the flowers to would be marching on the aisle of Gesu Church to be married to another man. He did not even bother looking around. "Like a bull who has seen a red cloth," I said to myself. But I smiled. That man, rushing towards the woman he loves with a red rose in his hand, one Valentine's morning.

As in most days in the office, the hours ran like a thief stealing away times of our lives we could never get back. Then it was lunchtime. A friend introduced us to a young lady who has undergone traumatic experiences. He said she has a boyfriend. I hoped deep inside that the boyfriend is at least worth the pain. Love should be. Now, my black-and-white expectations of the world say hello. And it's Love's day.

My friends and I had a spur-of-the-moment kind of date behind Cervini Hall, where, sitting among the benches under a tree, we talked about not having a date for the night and sex education. Haha! I still find it funny and at the same time fun. With these friends, I am not afraid to dip my hands into any topic.

And then one of them talked about commitment before leaving the office (which I will write about in a separate article). I smiled because it was a grand wrap-up for Love's day.

And it did not end there. I got my favorite Macadamia Nuts chocolates from a very thoughtful friend.

Best of all, I went home to a family who loves me above anyone else in the world.

I am single, in-love, and loved. :)

Happy hearts' day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment