Monday, November 23, 2009

My Slipper's Other Half

I won’t go out of my house with just one slipper on. That’s the rule.

This other half.

It tickles me one time and bits my foot on other times.

It has been a companion in my short yet long journey of struggles, of keeping up, of going along, of standing above this ocean of life.

Yes, a gift it is, for it came from Him who created me.


But there are instances when I want to throw the other half away because of the itch it sometimes causes me.

I have the freedom to choose, right?

So it comes to a point when I feel that the water is already way above the rim and I just have to let go, and find another pair, or perhaps walk barefooted.

This moment of surrendering my slipper’s other half has been coming in various ways and times.


And so in times like those, in moments of giving up, in flashes of turning my back away

I look at it again


And I find it cute, funny, crazy, incomprehensible, healed, imperfect, calloused, wounded, wise, breakable, porous, unbendable, flexible, at service, out of bounds, in love, stupid, practical, illusive, friendly, snub, gentle, appreciative, responsible, harmful, beautiful, all wrapped into one.

How can I throw such an other half?

It’s the only PYM slipper I have. And keep it I should. That’s the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment