Monday, September 26, 2011

Mountain climbing

I know, there's an adventurous streak in me. People from my childhood could attest to my fondness over outdoor adventure. I recall that when I was a little kid, I would sneak out every siesta time to catch dragonflies by the grassland or bathe in the rain. Books triumphed in diverting my attention and curiousness to the written word, which is why I ended up being immersed in the journey within than beyond.

But wisdom does not only reside in published works. I knew, from my childhood, that the nature has its own share in molding one's existence and perceptions of the world. Nature also has power to transmit knowledge beyond words could capture.

Last Saturday, I was brought back to that realization.

I and five of my church friends went on an ocular at Pico de Loro, Nasugbu, Batangas, where once again, I rode on a trip towards the splendid nature. The trip was long and butt-burning. We traveled at about 120 kilometers off Manila, passing along green fields and forests, modern and old houses, young and old province settlers, cows and carabaos, fresh and no-so-pleasant smells. The nearer we got to the rest house we were considering as a possible venue for our weekend camp, the more excited I was about how it looked. When we finally arrived there, we were met by an old man who turned out to be the husband of the caretaker. I and my church friends at first thought he resembled Mang Pasyo (the caretaker in our previous venue), only that the manong who met us was thinner and had a smaller frame. This manong led us towards the unexpected journey we never thought we'd go through--- we climbed a mountain.

My high-heeled white sandals did not stop me from climbing that mountain. I was even the first to arrive at the top! (Well, Oli, one of my church friends, was a little behind me. But then, I think he was wearing a walking shoes whilst I was trekking with a sandals, with the plus factor that I was a woman, and my pants were tight...) So there, we reached the top of the mountain where the air was pure and smelled of grasses. Down yonder, we saw the plain of Batangas--- an exhilarating view it was! I would have wanted to suggest that we wait for the sun to set while standing there, but then I thought that we didn't have much time since we still had to return to Manila in time for a band rehearsal. Nevertheless, I felt that that stint on top of the mountain was one of the best unplanned of experiences I had for this year.

I fathom, the adventurer in me hasn't left me after all these years. And I realize I should let her surface more often so I can experience the other side of life as well. Nature reminded me that I am naturally adventurous and that yes, there's thrill in finding out who you are by just laying yourself out of your comfort zone...

I should do more of re-visiting my child-me days to grow more not only in knowledge but in wisdom.
Jaypee, me, Ferdi, Oli and Gerald at the summit

That's me in pink top, trekking ahead with manong.

Jaypee, Ferdi, Gerald, Krissy and me at the start of the ascent


No comments:

Post a Comment