Saturday, September 24, 2011

The path to loving one's parents is simple

It's the point of life when I realize that parents also need our parenting. When we were younger, it was expected of our mom and dad to take care of us, to give us what our hearts desires. But when finally we grow up, we have to give some part of their hearts which they gave to us back not because of obligation but because of plain, simple love.

Last night, I had a conversation with a fellow youth ministry member. He shared with me his current misunderstanding with his mom who works away from their family. From his eyes, I saw the hardship he was going through. His mom blamed him for the mishap that happened to his elder sister who got pregnant out of wedlock, and even went to the extent of suspecting that he was not prioritizing his studies. I could sense the breaking of his heart, one part leaning towards comforting himself, and the other one wanting to comfort his mom. As a young man, I saw that he was struggling to put the concerns of his mom first before his.

And then I came to reflect about the way I have been relating with my own parents. I wonder if I have been loving them the way they deserve to be loved. My parents love me so much. Their love is something I have never doubted in my whole life. And I love them. But last night took me wondering-- have my actions and words been loving enough to contain how much I love them? What have I done so far to ease them of the earth's burden? What have I done to show them that I am grateful of their love?

The young man I talked to last night showed his love by deciding to put his mom's comfort over his, despite the unbelief in him created by the distance. This young man decided to still push through with what he promised his mom-- to be good in his studies, to serve God. From my viewpoint it seems that he clearly sees the path towards loving his parents, a path which not everyone walks on.

No comments:

Post a Comment