Tuesday, February 2, 2010

On UP and why we should free the knots

Last night, I finally was able to sit in front of the idiot box for a whole feature-movie length period. Impatient as I am with moving pictures, last night was a success for me for I was able to at last finish a movie. Yes, I didn't last for longer than the first 10 minutes of James Cameron's record-breaking Avatar. (To my sister's disbelief, the movie got me bored at the next sequence after Jake's introduction of Pandora. Fortunately for her, she got to finish it.) But yesterday was not one of those days.

And for that, UP (2009) was a success for me and here are the reasons why:

First: It was light and heavy at the same time. The 3D images of kids at the first sequence caught the attention of the child within me. I might just be missing those days. Nevertheless, I liked the aggressiveness of little Ellie and the passivity of little Mr. Fredricksen. As the story unfolds, it's good I followed through the real adventure of these two people. It was a childhood dream turned into reality by Mr. Fredricksen and oh, that cute little, egg-shaped boy who loved chocolates.

Second: It was a showcase of the clash between the past and the present amidst the prevailing power of the now. Mr. Fredricksen couldn't let go of Elli's memories. This stubbornness was shown in his going against the construction of a new road that needed to pass through his lot. He cheated the men from the retirement village who were supposed to bring him to the old people's place. And he went up, up and away not knowing that on his house's porch was little egg boy aiming to catch the snipe  and help Mr. Fredricksen cross from somewhere to somewhere so he could get that Helping the Elderly badge.

Third: It was about crossing from somewhere to somewhere. Ultimately, Mr. Fredricksen took on the adventures of the now by letting go. He let go of Ellie. He let go of the part of him that always yearned for times gone.

The movie poked me to do just the same so I could fly up, up and away.



Thanks to whoever it is who conceived of a Jesuit University President's day which is why I had the luxury of time to sit and reflect in front of the television after what seemed to me a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment