Monday, January 30, 2012

What I cannot change

During last night's mass, Fr. Manny, our parish priest, delivered a very fitting homily regarding the power of Jesus to cast out demons. He started off with a story of a woman who was presumed to be possessed by a bad spirit, which he later found out as having been possessed with another "spirit". It turned out that the woman was having some sort of a nervous breakdown because she was hiding something from her parents-- her pregnancy. Fr. Manny shared this with the woman's parents who fortunately celebrated the coming of the baby into their family. The woman must have felt desperation and hopelessness in her situation, which led her to act as if she was being possessed. She thought her unwanted pregnancy would cause bitterness inside her family, but it turned out that her parents knew better.

Fr. Manny wrapped up the homily with the assurance that God is in control of our lives. And I know, He is.

As he was delivering his homily, I was introspecting, trying to connect the words he was saying to the thoughts and feelings in my heart. The voices around which claim my alone-ness are lying. My God is in control. I'm glad I cannot change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment